Sources: Kaley Goes, Etsy, Broadsheet, Beau-Coup, Tressugar, Pizzazzerie
Ah, Mad Men. Pretend like the bride is marrying Don Draper (lucky gal) and channel your inner housewife or working girl with this fun themed wedding shower. Take your inspiration from the show.
Set the mood with invites that let everyone know-this is going to be a party like its 1963. Be sure to let everyone know to channel their best Joan, Betty, or Jackie. We loved the invites from Etsy seller Creatively Engaged-the silhouette of the Mad Men characers sets the tone for a hip cocktail shower.
Think of the favorite 1960s classics like shrimp cocktail, chip and dip, ambroasia salad, mini pineapple upside-down cakes, deviled eggs, a cheeseball and crackers, pigs-in-a-blanket, and of course, cake! Fondue was also big in the 1960s.
It wouldn't be a tribute to Mad Men if it weren't for cocktails. Tom Collins, Martinis, and Vodka Gimlets were all huge in this era as were daiquiris, Manhattans, mojitos, Pink Squirrels, Whiskey Sour, Bloody Mary, and White Russians.
-Make your own martini bar. Set up:
1) Vodka and Gin
3) Cocktail Shaker
4) Classic martini accompaniments-Olives, cocktail onions, olive juice, lemon slices, citrus rind, maraschino cherries and any other additions you'd like to put in your cocktail.
Of course, the real retroness of this shower comes from the decor and props. Look on Craigslist, Ebay, and in vintage stores for the decor.
- Place vintage magazines, like Ladies Home Journal, Vogue, and Life around.
- Frame copies of vintage ads around the food.
- Use a vintage typewriter as a prop or as a guest book-have each guest write a note to the future bride.
- The Mad Men website has a few printables of posters and door hangers to hang up.
- Place candy cigarettes in bowls around the shower to help complete the 1960s feel.
Stick with the martini theme and hand out mini cocktail shakers, mini martini glasses, and cocktail mixes.